To warm you when it's 30 degrees below zero!
3 lbs. tenderized beef cubes (less is you don't like lots of meat in your chili)
2 Tbsp. oil
3 Tbsp. flour
1 cup chopped onion
2 red peppers chopped (or green, or yellow, or a combo - whatever you
1-2 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1/2 tsp. each dried oregano and cumin
2-4 Tbsp. chili powder to taste
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup tomato sause
1 can chili beans in spicy hot sauce
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1. Heat oil in Dutch oven.
2. Sprinkle the meat with flour and brown in the oil.
3. Add a little extra oil to the browned meat if needed. Stir in the onion, peppers, and garlic. Cook until
4. Stir in the beef broth, oregano, cumin, chili powder, and salt.
5. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered for 45 minutes (or until meat is tender - could be up to 2 hours if you live in
the Rocky Mountains at 9,000 feet!)
6. Stir in tomato sauce, beans, and cinnamon during the last 1/2 hour of cooking. Add a little more beef broth if too thick.
Good served with beer, salad, and home made
bread (from the breadmaker of course!).